David Sohmer is one of the founding partners of the firm. He is also one of the leading taxation law practitioners in Canada, and has gained particular renown in estate planning and in tax planning for corporate and real estate transactions. He writes and lectures extensively on tax matters and was a sessional lecturer in Business Associations at the McGill University Faculty of Law for a decade.
David also provides guidance to our clients in matters of commercial transactions, shareholder issues and corporate law.
David has written, lectured and been interviewed extensively by the media about offshore banking and the voluntary disclosure program.
- Bachelor of Civll Law (B.C.L.), McGill University
- Juris Doctor (JD), Dalhousie University
- Bachelor of Commerce, McGill University
- Bachelor of Arts, Sir George Williams University
Call to the Bar
- Province of Quebec (1967)
- Nova Scotia (1968)
- Quebec Bar
- Nova Scotia Barristers Society
- The Canadian Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- International Fiscal Association
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners
Additional relevant information
- For quite some time, David was a lecturer in corporate law at the Faculty of Law of McGill University. He also lectured at the prestigious Meredith Memorial Lectures at McGill University. He has lectured in the fields of estate and personal tax planning before the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants.
- According to “The Best Lawyers in Canada”, he is recognized as one of the best tax specialists in Quebec in matters of Tax Law and Trusts and Estates. Martindale-Hubbell reports that based on their Peer Review Ratings, Me Sohmer is ranked as one of the best in his field.
Area of practice
“Offshore Tax Enforcement: Voluntary Disclosure, FBARs and FATCA” [+]
ALI-ABA Institute on International Trust and Estate Planning
"Should Taxpayers Be Penalized for Their Accountant's Lack of Due Diligence: A Criminal Lawyer and a Tax Lawyer Both Say No!" [+]
Part I. The Canadian Taxpayer, July 13, 2012, vol xxxiv, no. 14.
Part II. The Canadian Taxpayer, August 3, 2012, vol xxxiv, no. 15.
"Copthorne and the Supreme Court: Did the Court Cross the Line?" [+]
The Canadian Taxpayer, February 10, 2012, vol xxxiv, no. 3.
"The Supreme Court Decision in Copthorne: A Move to the Middle" [+]
The Canadian Taxpayer, January 27, 2012, vol xxxiv, no. 2.
"Can the Voluntary Disclosure Program Survive the Federal Court of Appeal Decision in Bozzer v. The Queen?" [+]
The Canadian Taxpayer, September 2, 2011, vol xxxiii, no. 16.
"Presentation to the House of Commons, Finance Committee on Offshore Banking" [+]
"Offshore banking and the CRA: Politics and the Voluntary Disclosure Program" [+]
Part I. The Canadian Taxpayer, November 23, 2010, vol xxxii, no. 23.
Part II. The Canadian Taxpayer, December 31, 2010, vol xxxii, no. 24.
“The IRS vs UBS: Implications for Canadians” [+]
The Canadian Taxpayer, September 21, 2009, vol xxxi, no. 18.
Our taxation law team
- BENOÎT, Justine
- BORNSTEIN, Daniel
- CITROME, Michael
- CÔTÉ, Louis-Frédérick
- DUFRESNE, Alexandre
- ETCOVITCH, Andrew
- FRAJMAN, Daniel
- GALAMBOS, John Israel
- GOLDMAN, Joel
- HUOT, Timothé R.
- JACOBSON, Morris
- KORNE, Robert
- LYDYNIA, Marissa
- MÉNARD, Mario
- PERSICO, Pierre-Paul
- RAICH, Robert
- SIMARD, Nicolas
- SITCOFF, Steven
- SOHMER, David H.
- TREMBLAY, Marie-Hélène
- ZYLBERBERG, Frank